Re: Core release, Wed

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Core release, Wed
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:17:57 +0100 (BST)

> > This makes upgrades a bit cumbersome as you have to upgrade everything,
> > but well that's why we're making a major release I suppose. ;-)
> >

> Well, I can revert the make part of the patch. It shouldn't be a
> problem to have lobjc linked multiple times.

My personal suggestion would be to leave the change in, but add a clear
explanation (that you need to recompile everything) in the release notes.

Eg, taking us (Brainstorm/Opera Telecom) as an example, ordinately
rebuilding all software on our live systems when we do our next upgrade
should not be too much of a problem ... the important thing is that we
know we have to do it!  :-)

I'm happy with any other solution (including reverting the make part of
the patch), I don't think it is particularly important -- the most
important thing is having a clear understanding of what is needed to
upgrade without problems, and communicating it to users.

Thanks