Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:42:11 -0700 (PDT)

Adam,

--- Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2005-10-18 18:36:23 -0600 Andrew Ruder <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> * Gna.org's hosting service has been nixed more or less by most.  I
> >   don't think that this is worth pursuing because of the overall
> >   negative response.
> >

> I've think I've forgotten - why was gna.org nixed? The reason I ask is
> that I talked to RMS and surprisingly, he's not opposed to us moving
> the repository if we really want to, although he would prefer us going
> to gna.org. He does not like sourceware.org
>

> We should also talk about all the implications this might involve. For
> instance, the current CVS archive at savannah will still be there, so
> we have to inform people about that.

We could probably have savannah-hackers put something on the page saying that
"this project has been moved".

> Plus we can't say, 'just update from CVS' to everyone who has a
> problem anymore. Most people won't have svn, even if they knew how to
> do that stuff. We need to update things like the daily snapshots.
>
> I wonder if we could still mirror the repository on CVS? Either at gna
> or savannah. Even if it is read-only.

We should probably just move to SVN outright.

> I'm still not sure I want to leave savannah, but they're so
> understaffed, it seems like it could be a long long time before they
> have a useful system working.

Quite true.

P.S. More complete email to follow...  I've got to go put the kids to bed. :)

Later, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.