Re: Next stable release?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Next stable release?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:05:13 +0100

On 10 Jun 2008, at 15:28, David Ayers wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald schrieb:

Where we have methods which are GNUstep specific, they ought to be in
If you have a better idea of how to go about this sort of thing I'm very
willing to listen (even time consuming alternatives if you want to
volunteer to help out).  I just don't want inaction to perpetuate the
situation where people complain about lack of Apple compatibility.

Well I think the correct solution would be to use the version macros to
hide the declarations in the Foundation/*h headers yet to re-declare
them unconditionally in a corresponding GNUstepAdditions/*.h header.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you ... but if you do that, then all existing source code would fail to compile because declarations would not be visible in the headers they are including now, but they wouldnt be including the new header they need.

I want current code to continue to compile and work with no changes, but to warn developers that things are going to change before the next stable release.

[I'm currently not sure whether GSCategories.h is currently includable
by applications using GNUstep proper.]

It is, and it's where I would expect most method declarations to move to eventually

.