Re: Next stable release?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Next stable release?
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 21:30:02 +0200

I would prefer not to deprecate xlib. There still are environments where it is better working then the cairo backend. For the moment I would still recomment art as the standard backend while still planing to have cairo as the main backend for the future. The cairo library is still changing too fast to have a stable target to aim at.

At the moment I am updating my second (virtual) Linux system to Ubuntu 8.04, this should include the latest cairo and with that I should be able to reproduce the cairo 1.6.4 issue. This would allow for a GNUstep stable release by the end of next week. Leaving some time to test Richards huge change.

Fred

Gregory John Casamento wrote:
I'm not sure, but I defer to Fred's judgement entirely on this.

But my opinion is that If we do deprecate it, it should not be removed for a
while.  The reason is that the xlib/x11 backend is a good fallback position to
have when all else fails.   Additionally, on older machines, the xlib backend
is the only thing that's useful since the art and/or cairo backends may be
somewhat slow on them.

Later, GC

Gregory Casamento -- Principal Consultant - OLC, Inc # GNUstep Chief Maintainer