Re: Next GNUstep release?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Next GNUstep release?
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:18:16 +0100

On 27 Mar 2010, at 22:33, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>>> Additionally, for the Windows packages the default theme should be the
>>> WinUXTheme and not the NeXT theme on that system.
>>>

>> Completely agree.
>>

> I heartily disagree, even if I am the one that started working on it after
> the hiatus of Christopher and Fred!
> I understand all the pressure Greg wants, but I still think it is not ready.
> The apps he thinks about work, but not the one I want to release, one of
> which I want to release "well" doesn't. If the application doesn't come up
> with a main window, the menus have troubles, or if it doesn't open an
> untitled document (same problem). Several others apps do work, but are very
> ugly.
>

> Possible solutions were discussed, but none implemented yet.
> Also ideas about directly with the app plist were put on the table.
>
> Right now it is too early, I propose to ship it together with system
> preferences, easy to enable, but not yet default.

I haven't kept up with the state of development/readiness of the windows theme,
but I really don't agree with forcibly changing the default theme ... I know it
makes me really irate on the odd occasion when Apple change default behaviors
on OSX, and I have to look for the  way to revert to previous behaviors.

The theme is the user's choice ... so what should happen is that, on
installation, the installer should ASK the user which theme they want to use,
allowing them to select between available themes, but making the windows one
the first selection (assuming here that for most apps it works well ... people
can always change theme on a per-app basis anyway).

If the user has already chosen a theme themselves (ie the default is already
set in NSGlobalDomain) then the theme that they had previously chosen should be
the first/default option when they are asked to choose a default theme  ... so
they can just hit the return key to continue using the last theme they selected.