Re: Which bugs to focus on for the release?

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: Which bugs to focus on for the release?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:41:22 +0200

Hi Riccardo,

Le 20 avr. 2010 à 00:36, Riccardo Mottola a écrit :

Hi
The switch to cairo as the default backend was a step that I should have done right after the last release. Doing so now is just not advisable.
Or is it?

I think not, libart should stick for this release, cairo will be for the next.

Cairo has some problems here and there, although it is reasonably usable for the day usage.

For example cairo has troubles with displaying (big) images, it can suddenly say it cannot allocate shared memory and then gets slooowww

Can you give a detailed list of all these problems? Are they reported in the bug tracker?

There are problems with Art too.
- GSReadRect is broken in Art, see https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?23333
- Pattern drawing doesn't work well

However Art works better than Cairo for -compositeToPoint and - drawInRect without my patch, but it doesn't handle the scaling between the fromRect and toRect correctly.

Quentin.