Re: Which bugs to focus on for the release?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Which bugs to focus on for the release?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:34:25 +0200

Am 18.04.2010 13:53, schrieb Quentin Mathé:
> Le 17 avr. 2010 à 23:04, Fred Kiefer a écrit :
>
>> The only bug that was publicly stated, as far as I am aware of, was
>> Richards network issue. I am not sure what the state of this is now.
>>
>> Then there is the open decision, what should be the default theme for
>> Windows. From what I gather from the mails on that subject, we should
>> stick to the default theme for now. But make it very easy to change that
>> per use or per application.
>>
>> With these two sorted out I think we should be ready to go. And I am
>> really looking forward to start coding again. The next step would be to
>> make cairo the default backend (on X11) and to integrate Quentin's work
>> on composite (getting it to work with all backends of course).
>
> Couldn't we delay the release a bit to switch to Cairo and solve these
> drawing issues.
> Both -[NSImage compositeToPoint:] and -[NSImage drawInRect:] have
> serious issues in scaled/rotated coordinate space:
> Gui+Cairo Current: http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=20252
> Gui+Cairo Patched: http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=20253
> Mac OS  X: http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=20254
>
> Both xlib and art backends still work fine with the latest patch I
> posted (this morning, I just tested Gorm and TestDrawing example
> attached to the bug report).
> I haven't no Windows install, so I don't know if the win backend is ok
> or not.
> For those interested, the bug report is here:
> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?27782

As much as I would like to get this patch into the next release, I think
we will still have to do without it.
Even if we could all agree on the current patch, we should then give it
at least two weeks to be tested by a broader audience.

The switch to cairo as the default backend was a step that I should have
done right after the last release. Doing so now is just not advisable.
Or is it?

As for the patch itself, I will comment on it in the bug tracker.