Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.

From: SPUeNTRUP - Kai Henningsen
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:30:00 +0200

Hello Nicola, all,

Am Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:31:10 +0100
schrieb Nicola Pero <address@hidden>:

> >> For example ? (ignoring GNUstep.conf which we agree it's wrong on
> >> FHS as well)
> >
> > Unless you explicitly set the prefix, it doesn't put things under /
> > usr/local (or didn't, last time I accidentally used FHS mode), it
> > put things in /usr, which is reserved for stuff in the base system
> > that is not required to boot single-user mode.  I didn't look much
> > beyond that.
>
> That is no different than what FHS/Linux expect.  And it should work ;-)

Actually, FHS points to /usr/local for local stuff, or /opt for
third-party stuff, and /usr only for distro packages - which GNUstep
usually isn't.

> --with-layout=fhs (the default that we are probably switching to)
> should use /usr/local/
>
> --with-layout-fhs-system (reserved for distribution packagers) should
> use /usr/

I think instead there should be an option that installs the way
autoconf would, *on that platform*, including --prefix and friends. I'd
suggest saving the relevant layout from gnustep-make during the
configure run.

*Everybody* knows how to use packages that use autoconf.

Just as a reminder, this is what a typical configure says in --help (on
a normal Ubuntu system, anyway):

By default, `make install' will install all the files in
`/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib' etc.  You can specify
an installation prefix other than `/usr/local' using `--prefix',
for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.

For better control, use the options below.

Fine tuning of the installation directories:
  --bindir=DIR           user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
  --sbindir=DIR          system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
  --libexecdir=DIR       program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
  --datadir=DIR          read-only architecture-independent data [PREFIX/share]
  --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
  --sharedstatedir=DIR   modifiable architecture-independent data [PREFIX/com]
  --localstatedir=DIR    modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
  --libdir=DIR           object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
  --includedir=DIR       C header files [PREFIX/include]
  --oldincludedir=DIR    C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
  --infodir=DIR          info documentation [PREFIX/info]
  --mandir=DIR           man documentation [PREFIX/man]
<<<<

> > By the way, there is a relatively simple way of using the GNUstep
> > layout in FHS-compliant mode: install in /opt/GNUstep.  FHS
> > explicitly allows installing add-on software in /opt/{package
> > name}/.  Of course, many FHS-compliant Linux distros don't allocated
> > adequate space for /opt, or don't create it at all, so this doesn't
> > actually work...

I believe it's been a long time since this started working right at
least on Debian and Ubuntu ...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Münster /
with kind regards - Kai Henningsen

--