Re: Changing gui->AppKit, base->Foundation... etc...

From: Truls Becken
Subject: Re: Changing gui->AppKit, base->Foundation... etc...
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 22:57:48 +0100

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 21:24, Gregory Casamento wrote:

> I would like to change the names of these things to things that both
> Cocoa and OpenStep developers are more familiar with.   It would be
> nice to have them as Foundation/AppKit and etc.   This would make it
> easier to talk about GNUstep with people without having to constantly
> say "base, GNUstep's version of Foundation" and the like.
>
> I'm working on a patch to make this happen, but I would like to know
> if anyone has any misgivings about this before I commit it.

This question was brought up two months ago as well. David then
argued that base is not *just* Foundation.

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 12:29, David Chisnall wrote:

> I think I'd like to see -base and -gui remain the names for the projects,
> but not for the frameworks.  -base should include Foundation and
> CoreFoundation, -gui should include AppKit and UIKit (and maybe
> CoreGraphics), and both should include Additions.
>
> I wouldn't like to see -base renamed Foundation, because that implies
> that it just implements Foundation - I have a fair amount of code that
> depends on GNUstep stuff that won't work with another Foundation
> implementation, but will work with -base.

I guess if base and gui are renamed Foundation and AppKit, then the
additions should be made separate frameworks so that using the
standard names actually *does* show exactly what they include. This
is probably not so easy to do, though? In a perfect world, it would then
be possible to compile the additions on OS X to run code on Cocoa
that uses GNUstep specific APIs.

-Truls