Re: NSXML* classes changed to use libxml2 directly... Should we merge th

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSXML* classes changed to use libxml2 directly... Should we merge this into the trunk?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:45:41 +0000

On 24 Jan 2012, at 12:04, Gregory Casamento wrote:

> Riccardo,
>
> Well, without libxml2 none of the NSXML* classes or GSXML classes will
> work.

Apart from NSXMLParser (which works fine without it), this is accurate.

> I believe that nib reading will also cease to function,

Maybe ... I haven't checked ... I thought it used NSXMLParser, and thus doesn't
need libxml2.

> we
> won't be able to read XML based plists either.   I believe it already
> is a hard dependency at this point.   I'll need to check by removing
> it from my system when I have the chance to do that.
>
> In any case, I see no problem with it being a hard dependency or with
> putting it in prior to FOSDEM given that the existing classes have
> never worked.

I prefer it as a semi-hard dependency ... we should build without it, but the
classes which need it should just fail upon initialisation.