Re: GNUstep don't load images of current theme.

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep don't load images of current theme.
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 01:19:13 +0200

Hi,

Eric Wasylishen wrote:
Hi Greg,

There were several things we tried to do:

- make a clearly defined set of image names (listed in Headers/Additions/GNUstepGUI/GSTheme.h ) for themes to override. Currently we just have GSSwitch and GSRadio listed there.

- make the image names for themes to override describe what the image is used for (GSMenuArrow rather than common_3DArrowRight)

- use a standard formula for choosing the names of alternate image state (e.g. GSRadio, GSRadioSelected, GSRadioDisabled, GSRadioDisabledSelected).

I don't think this is a good change, I thought about it. It would introduce a third way of naming images. We have the "Next names" and we have the "gnustep names", now you would introduce the "theme" names, which does complicate things even further.

While perhaps including even the "common_" prefix in the names was too much (why not "theme_" or "custom_" or even nothing), I would not remap the name once again. After all, a Theme cannot provide more images than gui can actually handle, it can just replace them. If, for some reason, it needs "its own" images for new drawing inside its code, it would need to handle them by itself anyway.

The change that breaks existing themes is that the images now have to be listed in the theme's plist in a GSThemeImages dictionary. Perhaps requiring this is not the way to go.

I actually found that working without a dictionary was very convenient. Perhaps I got spoiled.

Riccardo