gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] scons quirks

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] scons quirks
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:22:26 -0800

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:08:18 -0800
Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:

> address@hidden said:
> > The Unix FSSTD mandates /usr/local/.  Only the distro can install
> > in /usr/.
>
> The context was packaging for a distro.  Sorry if I wasn't clear
> about that.
>

> >> A secondary approach for testing is just to install the new code
> >> and test it post install.
> > Gack.  Imagine if libc did that?
>
> Again, I was thinking of packaging rather than development.  I was
> assuming that you would be pretty confident that the code was OK
> before you bothered to package it and testing was more of a sanity
> check on the packaging than looking for obscure bugs in the code.

gpsd runs on a lot of systems, so we always seem to run into obscure
bugs on obscure systems every release.  Once again take the example of
libc.  They always test before install when building from source.

If some packager has already built binaries than that is not really
a gpsd problem, that is the packagers problem.

> How do people test the packaging step?  Don't you have to install it
> on some system?

gpsd does not, the package maintainer does.  no way gpsd wants to get
into the ebuild, pkg, etc. world.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588