gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Skytraq Venus 6 config, Was: ✘Patch queue is empty?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Skytraq Venus 6 config, Was: ✘Patch queue is empty?
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 11:08:18 -0700

Yo Mike!

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 09:10:18 -0400
Mike <address@hidden> wrote:

> I searched for quite some time looking for a way using something
> other than Windows to configure this module.
> Here is the only real attempt that I found.
>
> _https://github.com/r0ro/skytraq

Someone that cares should roll the few important parts into gpsctl.

On my list, but not very high up.

> If there is an interest I can put it up on github or somewhere.

Sure, at least it is a start.  Mostly gpsctl just needs to know
the binary to send, and the gpsctl can frame it in a packet with
proper checksums.

> The docs do not directly state a command that changes when the NMEA
> message is delivered.  After some experimentation I've found that the
> 0x08 command will indeed do just that.

What is the exact command that works for you?  That could be added
to the gpsd venus init string.

Here are the Venus 6 Binary docs:

https://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Sensors/GPS/Venus/638/doc/AN0003_v1.4.19.pdf

IN the Windows program, I see "Set GPS Measurement Mode" and you set it
to "Sync to UTC Second when UTC Fix"

The message their Windows software sends is:

    a0 a1 00 03 3e 01 01 3d 0a 0d

But when I look in the Venus 6 docs, the 3e seems to have to do with PPS
not measurement...

Nothing about 3e in the Venus 8 doc, but the Venus 8 ACKs that command.

> To the best of my knowledge the Venus 6 will only ever show up to
> gpsd as a NMEA device.  As such none of the related tools can change
> settings on the module.  I believe that it's either in NMEA mode or
> Skytraq binary mode.

Skytraq Binary mode is Venus Binary mode.  Same thing.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588