Re: Using -Tpdf rather than -Tps and then ps2pdf

From: Oliver Corff
Subject: Re: Using -Tpdf rather than -Tps and then ps2pdf
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 10:04:44 +0200

Hi Damian,

isn't it the case that the paper format must also be announced to
gropdf, not only the source document, in case the system default is letter?

Did you try the -p option with gropdf?

Best regards,

Oliver.

On 12/06/2023 09:56, Damian McGuckin wrote:

I have used ditroff and then groff to produce Postscript for ages,
from which I then use 'ps2pdf' or some equivalent to produce a PDF
document. We even wrote (for clients) custom Postscript programs whose
output we imported into troff.  I often send sai Postscript to
printers.  I only
create PDF to read things on a screen or to send others output.

That is obviously not the 'recommended' way with 'groff'. I am curious
as to what the case is for heirloom troff and neatroff.

Anyway, I am trying to rewrite the EQN User Guide and have got to the
last chapter which is a short guide to using eqn within a pipeline
sequence (or not) for troff users, or neatroff users, or groff users.
I want to cover output to both Postscript printers and PDF documents.

But, the output direct to PDF from 'groff' does not match that of
going to Postscript and then converting that to PDF using 'ps2pdf'.

It seems to be doing naughty things with the page length. I am
using

    -ma4

to force an A4 page.

Any pointers. I attach the page which finishes nicely at the end of
the sentence and the page using 'gropdf' which does not. How can I
debug this?

Thanks - Damian

P.S. Trying to format my new EQN Users Guide document for both
'letter' sized paper and A4 is proving challenging at the very least.
When is the US going metric like the rest of the world?

Pacific Engineering Systems International ..... 20D Grose St, Glebe
NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not
wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present
employer

--
Dr. Oliver Corff
Wittelsbacherstr. 5A