Re: Using -Tpdf rather than -Tps and then ps2pdf

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Re: Using -Tpdf rather than -Tps and then ps2pdf
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 10:05:33 +1000 (AEST)

Tadziu, Deri, thanks for looking into this where looking is the key word.

Tadziu, your eyes had an answer that my eyes could see but not identify.

On Tue, 13 Jun 2023, Deri wrote:

Is this because the lowercase greek characters come from the SS font in
postscript, which is not available to gropdf because it is type 3 font.
Instead, gropdf uses the S font and artificially slants each character.

In the file symbolsl.ps there is a transformation of the Symbol font:-

/Symbol-Slanted
[.89 0.0 15.5 dup sin exch cos div .89 0.0 0.0]
/Symbol
MakeTransformedFont

And if you compare the character width/height given in the SS font the figures are .89 of the equivalent figures in the S font.

On the page I provided, I replaced the 'pi' towards the top of the right
column with an 'a' and the beta in the middle of that column with 'b'/

I re-rendered both the same way and The two outputs now match visually, at least to my eyes. Certainly the bottom of the 2nd column is identical
between the two rather than being one line short in the earlier PDF.

So, that does suggest that Tadziu's original thoughts on the handling of that Symbol font is on the right track.

Thanks - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International ..... 20D Grose St, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer