Re: Using -Tpdf rather than -Tps and then ps2pdf

From: Deri
Subject: Re: Using -Tpdf rather than -Tps and then ps2pdf
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 00:17:19 +0100

On Monday, 12 June 2023 22:45:36 BST Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> > But, the output direct to PDF from 'groff' does not match that of
> > going to Postscript and then converting that to PDF using 'ps2pdf'.
>
> The main difference that I can see is that in p8ps.pdf the symbol
> font has been scaled to match the x-height of the text font.
> In p8pdf.pdf the Greek letters (alpha, beta, pi) are too large,
> resulting in an unpleasant appearance of equations containing
> these symbols.

Is this because the lowercase greek characters come from the SS font in
postscript, which is not available to gropdf because it is type 3 font.
Instead, gropdf uses the S font and artificially slants each character.

In the file symbolsl.ps there is a transformation of the Symbol font:-

/Symbol-Slanted
[.89 0.0 15.5 dup sin exch cos div .89 0.0 0.0]
/Symbol
MakeTransformedFont

And if you compare the character width/height given in the SS font the figures
are .89 of the equivalent figures in the S font.

Cheers

Deri