guix-devel

Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 20:40:21 +0200

* Wilson Bustos <address@hidden> [2019-10-12 20:25]:
> Change a language's rules to fit your politics because you feel the normal
> language is offensive,is actually extreme.
>
> All the best

Alright, that is your opinion.

Related to GNU project and welcoming of everybody, and always
appreciating and respecting free speech, I would rather change the
language.

Language was never fixed and static. It changes all the time. It even
changes in 20 years that much that your own people will recognize you
were living in some other country as you are using words which are not
commonly used any more. I have tried it and so I know it.

I am suggesting:
https://www.ted.com/playlists/228/how_language_changes_over_time

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-language-change-1691096

https://www.linguisticsociety.org/content/english-changing

In my language we have He, She, It.

In some languages there does not exist "It".

GNU is representing not only that GNU has not get any animal, it has
also nice anthelope named gnu or wildebeest that exist in Swahili
speaking countries such as Kenya or Tanzania.

A word "safari" means "travel" and has been adopted in many languages
from Swahili and so in that sense safari changed many other languages.

Maybe we shall simply adopt using Swahili version of He/She.

They refer to gender in a written representation of “he or she” used
as a neutral alternative to indicate someone of either sex.

yeye is easy to pronounce for all people in all the world.

The introduction of Safari and "yeye" one can use in GNU manuals to
refer to gender neutral pronoun without knowing does it mean he or
she.

See references from Google translation below, that I got through GNU
Emacs.

Translate from English to Swahili:

He

yeye

pronoun
 1. yeye (he, she, him)

DEFINITION

symbol
 1. the chemical element helium.

noun
 1. a male; a man.
    "is that a he or a she?"

pronoun
 1. used to refer to a man, boy, or male animal previously mentioned or easily
identified.
    "Shane has a nice little punch, but he never hurt me with a solid shot."

Translate from English to Swahili:

she

yeye

pronoun
 1. yeye (he, she, him)

DEFINITION

pronoun
 1. used to refer to a woman, girl, or female animal previously mentioned or
easily identified.
    "He is a lonely old man who saw a young girl and told her she was
beautiful."

noun
 1. a female; a woman.
    "I hope I haven't mixed up her sex, I think she's a she …"

pronoun
 1. a written representation of “he or she” used as a neutral alternative to
indicate someone of either sex.

Jean