guix-devel

Re: EXWM

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: EXWM
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:38:47 +0300

Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> writes:

> Hi André,
>
>> I remember, back in the day, to what great lengths I went to understand
>> what the hell what going on.  I had EXWM configured in my Emacs init.el
>> file (the sane, standard and documented way of doing it), and I've used
>> it before in other distros.
>
> Just to clarify, I have exwm configured in my ~/.emacs, and it works. I
> don't have any ~/.exwm file. The way Guix currently starts exwm does not
> require to you have a ~/.exwm. So, Guix does support the standard way of
> configuring exwm. Do we agree on this?

Absolutely not.  Please read my previous message.

It seems that what you call "the standard way of configuring Exwm"
includes running the default config that Exwm packages, but this should
be optional.

Please look at C-h P exwm RET.  Item number 2 should be handled by the
user, but Guix forces it.  The only way out of it is to write a .exwm
file.  But, as I've stated previously, this (besides being a bad idea)
is not documented.  Users would only find out about it by looking at the
package definition, or by looking at how the emacs process was started.

Users can use their emacs init files as they wish, but that's a separate
issue.

My suggestion is simple: remove the added layer of complexity introduced
by the .exwm file; don't force a default Exwm config on the user.

What do you think?

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"