guix-devel

Re: EXWM

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: EXWM
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 09:27:19 +0200

André A. Gomes writes:

> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I just tried adding my ~/.exwm into my init.el and running a nested
>> emacs and now I get a GUI dialog:
>>
>>     Replace existing window manager? Y/N
>>
>> Not great!  Not very suprisingly, the extra unnecessary initialization
>> /does/ hurt here.
>
> Isn't exwm doing precisely what it's supposed to do?  Isn't it fair that
> the newly spawned (nested) Emacs has the right to take control over the
> "older" Emacs?

Of course; that's my point exactly!  Emacs cannot know, and thus cannot
help but doing the annoying thing: throwing a dialogue.  That is what
this code

(cond ((file-exists-p "~/.exwm") (load-file "~/.exwm"))
      ((not (featurep (quote exwm)))
       (require (quote exwm))
       (require (quote exwm-config))
       (exwm-config-default)
       (message (concat "exwm configuration not found. "
                        "Falling back to default configuration..."))))

helps to prevent in a very nice way.  Let's please keep it!

Greetings,
Janneke

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org