guix-devel

Re: EXWM

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: EXWM
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 18:02:15 +0300

André A. Gomes <andremegafone@gmail.com> writes:

> Therefore the claim that Guix forces a default EXWM config on the users
> isn't entirely true.

Actually, I made a mistake again.  Guix seems to force a default EXWM
config.  Find a proof below.

Emacs, as of today, is started by evaluating the following sexp:

(cond ((file-exists-p "~/.exwm") (load-file "~/.exwm"))
      ((not (featurep (quote exwm)))
       (require (quote exwm))
       (require (quote exwm-config))
       (exwm-config-default)
       (message (concat "exwm configuration not found. "
                        "Falling back to default configuration..."))))

This sexp is the first thing evaluated, taking precedence over the
the user's init file.  As a result, (not (featurep (quote exwm))) always
returns t.  Therefore, Guix forces the default EXWM config.

In other words, the above sexp is equivalent to:

(cond ((file-exists-p "~/.exwm") (load-file "~/.exwm"))
      (t
       (require (quote exwm))
       (require (quote exwm-config))
       (exwm-config-default)
       (message (concat "exwm configuration not found. "
                        "Falling back to default configuration..."))))

As I've been advocating, this seems to qualify as Guix not honouring the
user's Emacs init file.

I'm surprised no one noticed it before.

--
André A. Gomes