guix-devel

Re: EXWM

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: EXWM
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 18:55:19 +0000

Hi André,

I packaged EXWM (the right way) for myself a long time ago. If I'm putting effort into this, it's because I think the community is missing an opportunity to improve. I won't get anything from any of this. You,
on the other hand, seem to be interested in your selfish agenda.

it’s frustrating to get the feeling to be misunderstood. But please take a step back before judging others. “selfish agenda” sounds a lot harsher than is warranted in this context.

Some background: Guix implements a philosophy that could be described as “magic with escape hatches”. We usually offer neat features and automation by *default*, but we also provide escape hatches for those who don’t want the magic or have different requirements. The expectation to have EXWM start right up after selecting it as a window manager is justified, in my opinion. Do we offer a sufficient escape hatch here?

--
Ricardo