guix-devel

Re: EXWM

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: EXWM
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 23:15:03 +0300

André A. Gomes <andremegafone@gmail.com> writes:

> Guix forces the execution of (exwm-config-default), unless the user has
> a .exwm file.  That forces a default config on EXWM users, which is
> unpleasant for those (like me) that have been using it for a long time.
> Notice that those users have their EXWM configuration where it belongs,
> i.e. in their Emacs' init file.

There's a subtle and important detail I missed, and I've only noticed it
now.

This returns

emacs -q --batch --eval '(progn (require (quote exwm)) (print (featurep (quote
exwm))))'

true, whereas

emacs -q --batch --eval '(print (featurep (quote exwm)))'

returns nil.  But

emacs -q --batch --eval '(print (fboundp (quote exwm-enable)))'

returns t (as long as emacs-exwm is installed)!

Therefore the claim that Guix forces a default EXWM config on the users
isn't entirely true.

I was led to think that way since, most likely, I didn't add (require
'exwm) in my Emacs init file.  In result, EXWM's symbols were actually
bound, but, due to the lack of the require statement, it was running
with the non-desired default config.

I apologise for my lack of attention.

I'd say that this also qualifies as evidence that the present "magic" is
a double-edge sword.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"