gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Re: Is xupdf reasonable?!

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Re: Is xupdf reasonable?!
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:36:39 +0200 (EET)

[ Hi Narciso, cc to you because of I referred to your mail ]

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 10:02:25AM +0200, Matti Katila wrote:
>>> Well, Janne noticed that there's a lot of things influenced to
>>> bidirectional links and left/rigth directions.
>>>
>>> Basically xupdf is pdf viewer and what we have? Only UI with links.
>>> Even bib entrys have more information than xupdf has in links.
>>>
>>> There isn't way to tell to user: "Mmmkay, this is referred from that
>>> article". We can only say that there exist a link between articles.
>>> OTOH, we can not say that article refers to another or have we made the
>>> link ourselfs.
>>
>> These are very good points, and we do need to address them before
>> the article deadline.
>>
>> 1) The idea is that the user can also write short notes and link them.
>>    This way, the link types should become more apparent. I'll be implementing
>>    this ASAP.
>>
>> 2) At least my view of xupdf so far is that it's more for "personal" use,
>>    so that you know the articles you're browsing.
>
> Forgot to make explicit the question: do you think this will be enough?

You have said that beginner and professional users should have the same ui
and usability. To your 2) view of xupdf if someone sit to your chair and
starts browsing the articles with xupdf - he doesn't know what the link
means. Ok, talked with Asko about this and we can use different fillets
and colors something like here:

http://www.workpractice.com/trigg/thesis-chap4.html

..but what we get?  "What does this color means?", "What this fillet
means?" - We still have only 'links'. And if we limit the freedom by
chosing left links for history and rigth links for future we are
not using xupdf as freely as we could.

Asko's second idea was that this is only talking about different views.
I don't want to buy that. xupdf for professionals and extended-xupdf with
tiptools could be a way to 'hide' metainformation to buoys for beginners.
Or what if there is small window which shows the bib entry? I hate
tiptools anyway..

> Or what would you like to see?

I think our revolutionary interface is what I want to see but is it
enough? Can we make it better, can't we? Is the left/rigth thing only for
cognitive map (helps memorizing things)?

--snip--
[cognitive map]