gzz-dev

How to show link types (was: Re: [Gzz] Re: Is xupdf reasonable?!)

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: How to show link types (was: Re: [Gzz] Re: Is xupdf reasonable?!)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:36:30 +0100

Asko Soukka wrote:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Matti Katila wrote:

These are very good points, and we do need to address them before the article deadline.

1) The idea is that the user can also write short notes and link them.
  This way, the link types should become more apparent. I'll be implementing
  this ASAP.

2) At least my view of xupdf so far is that it's more for "personal" use,
  so that you know the articles you're browsing.

Forgot to make explicit the question: do you think this will be enough?

You have said that beginner and professional users should have the same ui
and usability. To your 2) view of xupdf if someone sit to your chair and starts browsing the articles with xupdf - he doesn't know what the link means. Ok, talked with Asko about this and we can use different fillets and colors something like here:

http://www.workpractice.com/trigg/thesis-chap4.html

My point is that there are dozens of different link types and if we start marking them somehow in xupdf we have to make big compromises: choosing what link types are enough to include, and what kind of graphical elements we add to present them. We have already used the "color coding" for papers' uniqueness. (should also remember 7+-2)

I'm for showing the link type textually: a cell in the middle of the fillet (possibly alpha-blended so it's not much of a problem when it's drawn over the article). This should be an option with a toggle to turn it on/off.

- Benja