Re: Upgrading CFE with CFE

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: Upgrading CFE with CFE
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:03:48 -0500

I have a script called 'cfrecover' that I use in general problematic situations; it pulls down all the cfengine binaries and config files from the cfengine server (via rsync) and then runs cfagent.

I've generally done upgrades by simply installing the new binaries on the server, then executing cfrecover on each host from a script. (The list of hosts to connect to is maintained by cfengine, of course; each client writes its name to the end of an NFS-shared file.)

In the past I have just let update.conf take care of it, but this sometimes introduces wierdness and I often ended up having to run cfrecover on a few hosts anyway. Easier just to take the whammy-stick to all of the clients at once.

Martin, Jason H wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading large installations of
CFE with CFE?  Was there any particular order in which you pushed the
three components?   Are there any gotchas if you are using cfexecd to
launch cfengine instead of cron?

Thank you,
-Jason Martin