Re: Upgrading CFE with CFE

From: Paul Krizak
Subject: Re: Upgrading CFE with CFE
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:19:07 -0500

Wow...never thought of that method...that's pretty clever! I might consider doing something like this if we get into a bind trying to do an upgrade.

Paul Krizak                         5900 E. Ben White Blvd. MS 625
Advanced Micro Devices              Austin, Tx  78741
CAD Systems Engineering             Phone: (512) 602-8775
Paul.Krizak@amd.com

Mark McCullough wrote:

I make a special class in cfengine that detects if a new version is
available.  If so, then it submits an at job that does the full upgrade.
Since it is in an at job, killing all the cfengine daemons doesn't
hurt the job doing the upgrade.  (I usually use package management
of some form or another to simplify the actual upgrade.)

So in my case the procedure would be:
Submit at job that:
* kills old cfengine programs
* Installs new package
* restarts cfexecd (which restarts the other daemons in my case).

I actually used this to migrate from cfengine 1 to cfengine 2.