Re: Upgrading CFE with CFE

From: Brian E. Seppanen
Subject: Re: Upgrading CFE with CFE
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:09:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Martin, Jason H wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading large installations of
CFE with CFE?  Was there any particular order in which you pushed the
three components?   Are there any gotchas if you are using cfexecd to
launch cfengine instead of cron?

My solution was to write a shell script to compile on each host but that requires a compiler on each host. This makes a lot of assumptions as to what you have installed as well, but that's what cfengine is for right... Perhaps I'm a simpleton, but I didn't really notice any problems doing this. the nice bit about this is that I use a define to trigger this for my hosts.

#!/bin/bash
set -x

cd /usr/src
/bin/tar zxvf /usr/src/cfengine-snap.tar.gz
cd /usr/src/GNU-cfengine
./configure
make -j2
make install