Re: [Cfengine] cfengine Mac packages, universal binaries, and mass deplo

From: Jason Edgecombe
Subject: Re: [Cfengine] cfengine Mac packages, universal binaries, and mass deployment
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:42:50 -0500

Bas van der Vlies wrote:

Take a look at fink:
    fink.sourcefourge.net

This is the debian package manager ported to the Mac. Install fink on every machine and you a lot of opensource packages including cfengine.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks. I know about fink. I use it at home.

I think that fink is overkill for this particular use. Not only that, cfengine would not be in the traditional location of /var/cfengine.

I'm doing my own package because I want to minimize mistakes. In this case, it will install berkeley db, cfengine, run cfkey and cfengine and probably launch the inventory agent as well.

Installing fink adds complexity and time to the install process and it doesn't yield much in return because 99% of the time we wouldn't need it for anything else.

If fink is needed, I can always install it via cfengine.

Sincerely,
Jason