Re: cfengine Mac packages, universal binaries, and mass deployment

From: Chris Kacoroski
Subject: Re: cfengine Mac packages, universal binaries, and mass deployment
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:41:55 -0800

Jason,

I ran cfagent three times. The first to copy over some files. The second to copy over more files (I installed a custom version of perl) and configure some settings defined by the files copied over the first time. The third time to catch all the stuff that did not get done the first two times.

The trick for me was faking the server's host key on the client so the client could connect to the server initially without getting asked if they really wanted to. The installer copied the known_hosts file to a backup, put in the one with the server's host key in it, ran the installer, and then put the original one back. Not the nicest way, but it works.

ski

Jason Edgecombe wrote:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. I figured touching each one was required. I'm creating a custom installer to handle things.

Did your config require cfengine to be run 3 times to complete the setup?

Chris Kacoroski wrote:

Jason,

I have pushed cfengine out to 1500 macs. The only way was to touch each one by hand as the Mac has no package management (this was talked about in the Apple Guru talk at LISA'05 -- Apple is working on a package management system for the future). Since we had timbuktu on most machines, we hired a person who just installed a cfengine installer that we created. The installer was a self extracting archive that:

- setup the cfengine keys with the server
- installed the basic cfengine  binaries
- ran cfengine 3 times to complete the machine configuration.

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
  connected to the entire universe"                John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, ckacoroski@nsd.org, 425-489-6263