Re: Software/HD ecology

From: Henrik Enberg
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:41:11 +0100

Ajanta <ajanta@no.spam> writes:

> Makefiles routinely come with targets like "clean" which presumably
> deletes files like .log/.o and of course "install".  If they could
> have a few extra targets, like "superclean" or "EnglishOnly", that's a
> few extra lines.

There are dependencies in the source code and the manuals.  Simply
removing the files is not a very pretty thing to do.

> Why is that comparable with the clutter of tens of MB and 100's of
> files scattered around? If you can have "make install", why not "make
> uninstall" which would merely remove all the installed files and
> links?

The Emacs Makefiles are created by a configure script.  If any part of
the config changes, It isn't the same Makefile.  You might remove the
wrong files then, unless you keep the unpacked and compiled tarball
around.