Re: code completion

From: Arne Schmitz
Subject: Re: code completion
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:56:39 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

>> Every useful feature in Emacs (and elsewhere in Free Software) started
>> as a programmer's itch.  There's nothing particularly hard about
>> adding this, much of the infrastructure is already there.  All you
>> need is a little time and some will power.
>

> It looks to me like Eric Ludlam is very actively developing
> CEDET/Semantic/EDE right now.
>
> I do not understand these things very well at all, but is not that a
> very promising framework?

I think it is! So everyone, try it out and help improve it! Even if it is by
commenting on it, reporting bugs etc. What could be better in Semantic /
CEDET is e.g.:

1) Parsing speed -- Parsing in elisp is sloooow for large files. Maybe we
need a real semantic-parser written in C or some other fast language.

2) Refactoring -- given the capabilities it should be possible to refactor a
variable. This is one tool, I am really impressed with in Eclipse, and
would like to see in Emacs.

Arne

--
[--- PGP key FD05BED7 --- http://www.root42.de/ ---]