Re: code completion

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Re: code completion
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:15:19 +0100

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com>
>>> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:56:11 +0100
>>>
>>> I have a nasty
>>> feeling that using emacs as a C/C++ IDE might be coming to the end of
>>> the road as it falls behind in many of the features (code completion,
>>> refactoring for an example) that more modern IDEs like Eclipse
>>> provides. The maintainer of ecb as good as said the same. A shame.
>>
>> It's indeed a shame that no one of you young programmers who need this
>> ``modern IDE'' stuff steps forward to add such features to Emacs.
>> Don't just rely on us old farts!
>>
>> Every useful feature in Emacs (and elsewhere in Free Software) started
>> as a programmer's itch.  There's nothing particularly hard about
>> adding this, much of the infrastructure is already there.  All you
>> need is a little time and some will power.
>

> It looks to me like Eric Ludlam is very actively developing
> CEDET/Semantic/EDE right now.

Thats good news. I had had the impression it was a bit on the back
burner. My mistake if not. It was the programmer of the ecb framework
who seemed a little more reluctant to see everything as rosy.

The last release of the cedet collection was June 2007. Semantic 2003,
speedbar 2002, cogre 2001, ede 2001.

> I do not understand these things very well at all, but is not that a
> very promising framework?

Be sure these are wonderful tools. And in freely given time and effort
one can not in any way criticise these tools. However at the end of the
day when compares feature, if one were honest, newer IDEs like Eclipse
do a whole lot more.