Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Juanma
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:43:05 +0200

On Thursday 24 July 2008, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 03:38, Juanma <juanma_bellon@yahoo.es> wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, selection with shift+arrows seems to me like the crappy
> > stuff I used to do before entering the glory of Emacs. I would go to admit
> > it's a small plus to be able to *also* do it like that, but I think setting
> > the mark, as an anchor, and extend as you move with any other movement
> > command (and that includes, e.g., i-search), is vastly superior.
>
> We'll have to agree to disagree. I have almost no use for invisible
> regions that extend with movement commands.

But they aren't invisible! Nowadays, not even by default.

(setq transient-mark-mode¹ t)

¹ this is independent from CUA, whatever are the capabilities of that
package.

Extending the region without the need to keep Shift pressed is awesome. You
really have to try it. There's no coming back from that. Guaranteed.
--
Juanma

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr