Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 01:45:08 +0200

Juanma wrote:
On Friday 25 July 2008, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
The difficulties are in the details. You kind of use your body memory when doing such things. On Windows the menus does not work from the keyboard as in other programs by default and that defeats the body memory.

Menus? What menus?

If you hate C-x C-f you can rebind it (C-o in CUA, right?), you can use the
"disk key" as provided by disk.el, you have dired, or you get Windows
Explorer calling ... what was that? gnuclientw.exe? I think that's what I
used. I just browsed folders with Windows Explorer and pressed Enter on a
file, or 2*clicked it, or drag'n'dropped it into Emacs.

In Emacs, and this is just an opinion, activating menus from keyboard is a
corner-case, not a normal (as in "frequently performed") procedure. But, if
that's your procedure, fine. But then, I don't think it's Emacs making it
difficult ...

And what does this help if the new user presses Alt-F to open the file menu?