Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Phil Carmody
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:25:21 +0300

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 15:56, Juanma <juanma_bellon> wrote:
>
>> Well, maybe it's too "Unixy" (if I may), but then remove the "too" because
>> I'm in Linux.
>
> For software, being too ANYTHING is usually a drawback for new users
> coming from the complementary set of ANYTHING...
>
>> When I started
>> learning¹ Emacs, I had to learn what is a buffer, and if the manual had been
>> s/buffer/workspace/ all along, I would have had to learn what workspace
>> means just the same. Same effort, and buffer is easier to pronounce.
>
> The point is, "workspace" is used more often than "buffer" for the
> same concept, so even if that is your experience, it is reasonable to
> expect that it'll be different for many other people.

But 'workspace' has been used in a window-manager context for
longer than any of the modern IDEs that use the term have been
around. It also seems that some applications define the workspace
to be their entire window, inside which many MDI sub-windows
can reside. Both of these uses conflict with a usage where it
is synonymous to emacs' use of 'buffer'.

Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration