Re: emacs-w3m question

From: Xah
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m question
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:38:24 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 10, 1:25 pm, Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> wrote:
>    i haven't spent time to study minor modes yet. For those who has, if
>    you can provide me with a minor mode template, i'll get to work right
>    away.
>
> You would not want to see code (not touch-)typed by a so idiotic
> guy like me, would you ?

even if you don't touch type, a ergonomic based keyboard shortcut will
still improve your emacs life.

For example, you cited how you love the Ctrl+‹npfb› shortcuts because
you don't want to move the hand to arrow. Note the keys n p f b are
scattered around the keyboard. In fact, 3 of them are the worst
possible. N and B are in the middle of the keyboard, and p is pressed
by the weakest finger.

With the ergo map, you can do Ctrl+‹kilk› to move cursor, all keys are
under your right hand. Even if hunt-and-peck is your method of typing,
it's much easier to hunt and peck on k i l k, all are in one place,
since cursor keys are frequently used together.

this page has the lisp code that turns default shortcuts into
ergonomic ones:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html

also note, when i did research on emacs command frequency, one
surprising result is that a programer types shortcuts more than he
actually type letters.

Quote:
«
Better Shortcut Layout vs Better Key Layout

On the subject of keyboarding ergonomics, a user may wonder whether
switching from QWERTY to Dvorak provides a better improvement than
switching from a lousy to better keyboard shortcut layout. (Assuming
that he does only one of the above.)

Of my Emacs Commands Frequency study, 37% of key strokes involves data
entry (that is, calling the commands “self-insert-command” and
“newline” (pressing return), while the rest 63% are calling all other
commands. This seems counter-intuitive, because one might think typing
should probably be the bulk of activity and moving cursor and deleting
text or other commands are only done few times per minute.

If we consider commands invoked by the Backspace key as data entry
too, then 40% are data entry, while 60% are editing commands. Still
surprising. Going one step further, if we consider the next group of
most used commands of moving the cursor by the smallest unit (i.e.
previous-line (C-p), next-line (C-n), backward-char (C-b), forward-
char (C-f) (also invoked by the arrow keys)) as part of data entry,
then, 64% are “data entry” and 36% are other command calls.

This data suggests that better shortcut placement is more important
than better placement of letter keys for programing.

»

if you are interested to find out your own pattern of emacs command
use, you can try the lisp file at the bottom of this page:

http://xahlee.org/emacs/command-frequency.html

If you can send me your result, that'll be great.

Alan, you are very welcome to send me your result too.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/