Re: Issues with emacs

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Issues with emacs
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 21:52:28 +0200

"Ludwig, Mark" <ludwig.mark@siemens.com> writes:

> [...]

This hasn't to be.  As RMS shown us, even secretaries can like emacs, if
we just NOT tell them they have to program it: just tell them about
"configuring" it.  Don't ever mention the words "program",
"programming", etc.

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/rms-lisp.html

    It was Bernie Greenberg, who discovered that it was (5). He wrote a
    version of Emacs in Multics MacLisp, and he wrote his commands in
    MacLisp in a straightforward fashion. The editor itself was written
    entirely in Lisp. Multics Emacs proved to be a great success —
    programming new editing commands was so convenient that even the
    secretaries in his office started learning how to use it. They used
    a manual someone had written which showed how to extend Emacs, but
    didn't say it was a programming. So the secretaries, who believed
    they couldn't do programming, weren't scared off. They read the
    manual, discovered they could do useful things and they learned to
    program.