Re: temacs

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: temacs
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:37:36 -0400

On 6/28/2012 4:49 AM, Bastien wrote:
"John Wiegley"<johnw@newartisans.com>  writes:

Thus, Emacs is already as simple as you need it to be.  Just don't load
anything in your .emacs.

Which points at the trap many newbies fall in: adding to many stuff to
their .emacs.  Some of them are just experimental, then get forgotten,
then you wake up one day wondering why launching Emacs takes too long.

I think you've defined the wrong trap - starting emacs every time you want to edit a file and then complaining that launching takes too long.

If anything, perhaps it should be easier to install and use client-server emacs. Windows programs (Firefox, Office, ...) do that by default.

I have many years of accumulated code in my .emacs. I load all kinds of packages, some that I rarely use. It doesn't matter. I start emacs once every few months, so 10 seconds doesn't matter at all.