Re: temacs

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: temacs
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:57:50 -0400

On 6/27/2012 12:24 PM, Alp Aker wrote:
For git commits, rebases etc I use jemacs as EDITOR.  Can I use temacs
for such simple editing jobs?

If the concern is with startup time, then a cleaner solution is just
not to create a new emacs instance every time, and instead keep a
single emacs process running that you connect to every time git needs
to invoke an editor.  In other words, start emacs just once, as a
daemon (or put an existing emacs process into server mode), and have
git invoke the editor as "emacsclient" rather than "emacs".  See the
info node "(emacs) Emacs Server" for an overview of the various ways
one can use such a set up.

Absolutely!

I start emacs perhaps twice a year. Why would I care how log it takes to start up?