Re: IDE versus emacs

From: Sohail Somani
Subject: Re: IDE versus emacs
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:40:30 -0400

On 19/10/2012 1:22 PM, Drew Adams wrote:
One design limitation of the tags mechanism is that a TAGS file is a static
snapshot, which might not be up-to-date when you use it.  Navigating to existing
tag locations is typically not a problem, even if the file is not up-to-date.
But being out of date means that it does not index thingies that were created
after the file was generated, obviously.

I agree with everything you have said and here is what I do to keep my TAGS file up to date:

  http://paste.lisp.org/display/132935

It requires the use of prosjekt. When the project is opened, TAGS are re-generated and whenever a file is saved, that TAGS file is updated.

Good enough for me most of the time, but yeah, it would be beyond awesome if Someone (TM) would use clang or something that understands C++ better to generate the TAGS files...

Sohail