Re: emacs 24.4 disable popup in minibuffer

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: Re: emacs 24.4 disable popup in minibuffer
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 11:15:47 -0800 (PST)

On Friday, 7 November 2014 15:11:19 UTC, Stefan Monnier  wrote:
> > Hmm, I wonder if perhaps one of my melpa packages has updated at the same
> > time and caused confusion. I'll bisect my .emacs: I'm basically getting
> > popup completion in the minibuffer now where previously it would show
> > different options in a new buffer (e.g. C-x b <prefix-TAB>)
>
> Since I still don't know what you mean by "popup completion", I can't
> help you much further.

Popup completion =>

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx162/fommil/2014-11-07-190723_1918x1078_scrot_zpscf010543.png

Normally my minibuffer is one character tall. Here it is about 11 or 12 because
the popup resizes the minibuffer.

AND I just confirmed that this happens even when I move my .emacs to the side,
so this has been introduced by either emacs 24.4.1 or debian's site plugins.

In fact it looks like debian have done something because

  /usr/bin/emacs --no-init-file --no-site-file

and this goes away.

Sorry all, I should have checked this before posting to the group.