Re: Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:27:43 +0100

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> In theory, yes.  In practice, this is more difficult.  I mean, Emacs on
> Ubuntu should be as simple as sudo apt-get install emacs; but then, in
> most points in time, this got you an ancient version.  The same with
> TeX, and other things.  So step by step you install more and more things
> manually, and then why not get Gentoo?

> Debian might be a good idea, but I feel more and more inclined towards
> Fedora (or Arch, on days I'm feeling more bold).

The upcoming Debian (Jessie, Debian 8) is now in freeze and has
emacs-24.4.  By chance I just had to install it and if you are
interested I can give you a quick installation guide privately.

>> Also remember that the Debian fork Ubuntu has been
>> forked many times for similarly questionable reasons:
>> Kubuntu (to have it in KDE instead of GNOME), Xubuntu
>> (ditto Xfce), and so on. (Sometimes I think the WM
>> developers do that just to market their software.)
>
> Yes, I even used some of them for some time.  My goal is to set up a
> decent tiling WM (preferably StumpWM, maybe Awesome), so I'm not really
> interested in this KDE/Gnome/Unity/whatever dispute.  (The main goal is
> to have Emacs occupy the whole screen, without these stupid decorations,
> and get rid of the mouse/touchpad.  I hardly ever use anything but
> Emacs, a terminal, Evince and Firefox or Chrome anyway.)

I'm using Emacs mostly in full-screen mode so, thankfully the desktop
stuff (xfce in my case) matters less and less.  I'm also getting used to
eww, the fast text browser, terminal-mode and doc-view-mode (with
auto-revert-mode for pdfs) more and more.

      Dieter

--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm