Re: Defun Self Documentation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Defun Self Documentation
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 14:23:03 -0500

>> But I wonder why we'd recommend other users not to use lexical-binding
>> in their `init.el`.
> Because the defun special form didn’t work properly in lexically bound
> contexts.

I fail to see the connection.  The restriction of `defun` in lexical
context was very minor, only affected rather unusual circumstances
anyway, and could very easily be circumvented.  And I fail to see why it
should have affected init.el files more than others.

> But since 24.3, the problem with the symbol counter was resolved,

I don't know what "problem with the symbol counter" you're referring to.

> People can use it without any harm.

Of course.  Many people do already.

        Stefan