Re: Auto Fill Comments

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Auto Fill Comments
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 00:12:28 +0100

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

> I mean, rather than with foo, bar, a, g, temp, body.

I see.  This example demonstrates subtle parts of the semantics instead
of mentioning a typical use case.

Could be as simple as: "for example, to set the binding of `fill-column'
only for the current buffer, do it like (setq-local fill-column 70)" as
an preliminary example.

I see there is a certain gap between the user manual, which doesn't
cover this concept, and the Elisp manual, which is very detailed if a
user doesn't want to write a package but just needs some basics to be
able to make his config a bit more mode aware.

But I guess it is a task not as simply as it seems: we need to know what
the typical use case for user's customizations is, when a typical use
case exists at all.  And we still need the academicly abstract examples
to teach people the other important aspects.

Regards,

Michael.