Re: Auto Fill Comments

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Auto Fill Comments
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 00:38:32 +0100

> Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2020 at 12:12 AM
> From: "Michael Heerdegen" <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Auto Fill Comments
>
> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > I mean, rather than with foo, bar, a, g, temp, body.
>
> I see.  This example demonstrates subtle parts of the semantics instead
> of mentioning a typical use case.
>
> Could be as simple as: "for example, to set the binding of `fill-column'
> only for the current buffer, do it like (setq-local fill-column 70)" as
> an preliminary example.
>
> I see there is a certain gap between the user manual, which doesn't
> cover this concept, and the Elisp manual, which is very detailed if a
> user doesn't want to write a package but just needs some basics to be
> able to make his config a bit more mode aware.

Spot on.  For those who get excited and take the challenge to try customising
emacs, but are not skillful enough to be emacs package developers.  It
does not even have to be in the reference manual.  It could be an intermediate
guide between introduction and full reference.

> But I guess it is a task not as simply as it seems: we need to know what
> the typical use case for user's customizations is, when a typical use
> case exists at all.  And we still need the academicly abstract examples
> to teach people the other important aspects.

Certainly not easy.  Yes, one needs to know typical use cases that users
would like to customise themselves.  I mean, not "customise themselves",
but ... customise emacs themselves :)