Re: Reply-To -> CC?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Reply-To -> CC?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 09:26:48 +0300

* Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> [2020-12-23 06:48]:
> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
>
> > Is there an alternative solution to this problem, "Email Groups" or
> > something like that?  (No, we don't want to use a messenger instead)
>
> Only guaranteed solution is that everybody a memberber of a group and
> the From and To (both) the headers are pointing to the group email
> address in each message.
>
> I guess this you need to setup yourself somewhere. I am not aware of a
> hosted solution for this.

There is solution.

Example in `mutt' email client https://www.mutt.org is that I may
specify which email addresses are mailing list addresses and then I
may use the L key for list-reply as it will know how to reply to the
list.

And if I set $followup_to variable, it will add the header

>From mutt manual:

*3.97. followup_to

    Type: boolean
    Default: yes

    Controls whether or not the "Mail-Followup-To:" header field is
    generated when sending mail. When set, Mutt will generate this field
    when you are replying to a known mailing list, specified with the
    "[2031]subscribe" or "[2032]lists" commands.

    This field has two purposes. First, preventing you from receiving
    duplicate copies of replies to messages which you send to mailing
    lists, and second, ensuring that you do get a reply separately for any
    messages sent to known lists to which you are not subscribed.

    The header will contain only the list's address for subscribed lists,
    and both the list address and your own email address for unsubscribed
    lists. Without this header, a group reply to your message sent to a
    subscribed list will be sent to both the list and your address,
    resulting in two copies of the same email for you.