Re: finding stuff

From: Tomas Nordin
Subject: Re: finding stuff
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 12:09:34 +0100

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> [2021-01-24 08:34]:
>> If I understand your needs correctly, 'apropos' will give you some of
>> what you want. However it won't search the info files, news, etc.
>>
>> But actually for learning how to do something, web search really is
>> the best option.
>
> For specific stuff the web search provides solutions.

Maybe the stuff actually found typically is specific, but the search on
the web is so general it must be hard to compete with.

It has happened to me a number of times I search the web on some Emacs
question, find links to the Emacs manual wich provide the answer and
only by then understand I would have found it by a direct search in the
manual.

But there must be nothing wrong with this combination of searching the
web and searching Emacs. Sometimes even if something is described in
detail in the manual, it is faster or more convenient to see some
user-written example on the web.