RE: [External] : Re: finding stuff

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: finding stuff
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 21:17:59 +0000

> > I meant that I'm guessing that people who do a
> > lot of software development are maybe less likely
> > to use menus (and a mouse) - as opposed to your
> > average computer user.
>
> There was no "maybe" and no "less likely" in your
> original assertion. Quote:
>
> > IMO it's too bad that many people have come to get
> > the idea that using menus is for sissies.  I think
> > this is especially true of developers, and of Emacs
> > users generally.  It's misguided, IMHO.
>
> If that included any qualifications whatsoever,
> I probably wouldn't have bothered responding.

It included the qualification "I think".  And "IMO".
And "especially".  And "generally".  And "IMHO".

As usual, you want to quibble.  (Sue me.)

After your first remark I clarified what I meant.

And yes, it's my impression that "many people have
come to get" the idea that many menus aren't worth
bothering with - in particular, I think, many
programmers.  And perhaps many Emacs users.

And one reason for that might be that sometimes
3rd-party Emacs libraries don't put a lot of
emphasis on providing good menu support.  Menus,
like doc, can often take back seat.  Programmers
like to code. ;-)

Have I added enough "perhaps", "might", "maybe",
"I think", "often", "sometimes" etc. for you?
(If not...)

What I say is only what I think.  YMMV.  I don't
preface everything I say with "It's my impression
that...".  (Do you?)
___

Message: Menus have more to offer than (I think)
many people realize.  Good menus, especially.