Re: [External] : Re: finding stuff

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: finding stuff
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2021 07:39:27 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:

> And yes, it's my impression that "many people have come to
> get" the idea that many menus aren't worth bothering with -
> in particular, I think, many programmers. And perhaps many
> Emacs users.

Maybe in the hard-core Unix and Emacs community there is
a tilt towards that but if you think you are alone think
again, just check out Eclipse, all the Microsoft IDEs ...
there, menus are a/the fundamental building block of
the interface.

And while it is possible to have menus in Emacs, here, the
corresponding building block is not menus but shortcuts.
So obviously people here tend to not use menus, or use them
much less...

I think shortcuts are better, faster, they don't involve
a mouse, they are less disruptive visually and imply less eye
strain as there is no alternative to spot and pick, so all in
all, they are much more ergonomic. (Especially good shortcuts! ;))

But I suppose you are right, for the purpose of, with your
word, discoverability, menus are better.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573