Re: On markdown images

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: On markdown images
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 16:59:27 +0700

On Sat, 1 May 2021 at 16:43, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> I think this is minimal valid SRC IMG tag in HTML:
>
> <src imag="file.jpg" height="120" width="100" alt="My file"/>
>
> So far none markdown that I know but Discount markdown does not
> provide height, width attributes. This makes HTML invalid and in
> general can disturb the HTML display and accessibility. Such pages
> will not pass the test here: https://validator.w3.org/

You have been misinformed on that point. The width and height
attributes are, and always have been, optional on an img element. See
specs:

HTML 5 — https://www.w3.org/html/wg/spec/the-map-element.html#attr-dim-width
HTML 4.01 — https://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/objects.html#adef-width-IMG
HTML 3.2 — https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/SPSD-html32-20180315/#img
HTML 2.0 did not have width and height attributes on img elements.